All nonprofit organizations in Gaston County are invited to participate. To be eligible, organizations must attend a mandatory kick-off meeting and complete the Organization Application. The Community Foundation reviews each organization’s application and confirms eligibility. An application acceptance letter is sent to the contact person for each eligible nonprofit. There is no cost to apply, and participation is free.
Organizations invite donors to give to the Community Foundation through the Run and to include their organization in the list of recommended charities on the official donor form or online. Donations must be made payable to the Community Foundation. The Community Foundation receives the gifts and official donor forms, acknowledges donors that donate $250 or more with a tax receipt, and records the gifts in funds named for the beneficiary organizations.
The Community Foundation of Gaston County:
- Receives and processes all gifts to the Community Foundation Run and provides a tax receipt.
- Provides promotional and marketing presence for the Community Foundation Run.
- Solicits sponsors to provide matching funds.
- Creates and produces the Run with the help of community volunteers.
Individuals may volunteer to help administer the run. They may also register to participate in the event, make a donation, or help staff a booth on run day.
Contact Erin Wiggins at 704-864-0927.
Participants run a competitive 5K or walk a recreational 2K. There are non-profit booths, a family zone, music, and awards. All members of the community are welcome to attend.
The Community Foundation provides funds from the unrestricted grant cycle. The Community Foundation raises additional matching funds from individuals, businesses and organizations in the community.
When all the gifts have been recorded and acknowledged – approximately six weeks after the run – the Community Foundation calculates the match percentage based on the total amount of match money available relative to the total amount of designated contributions, up to $10,000 for each organization. Gaston County Schools share a $15,000 cap. Gaston County Charter Schools share a $15,000 cap. All eligible participating organizations receive the same percentage match on the first $10,000 in designated contributions they raise. The match percentage will be announced at the Wrap-Up luncheon in late May.
For nonprofits that are approved to participate in the 2018, here are some important dates and deadlines to keep in mind:
- All nonprofits are required to distribute 3 posters by March 15th to remain eligible for matching funds. Posters can be picked up from the Community Foundation's office.
- Participating nonprofits must have one registered walker/runner to remain eligible for matching funds. Participants can register up until the day of the Run.
- The Run will be held on April 14, 2018 beginning at 9AM.
- The deadline for contributions that qualify for matching funds is Friday, April 20th. Donations must be brought to the Foundation by 5pm that day or postmarked with that date.
- All nonprofits were required to provide at least one volunteer for the event. Your volunteer Committee Chair will reach out to you with specific meeting times and responsibilities. If you have not heard from your Committee Chair or have a question, you can find their contact information here: 2018 Committee Chairs
Informational Meeting Presentation/Rules & Regulations: DOWNLOAD PDF
People's Choice Award/Booth Registration: DOWNLOAD PDF
Cornhole Tournament Registration: DOWNLOAD PDF
Final Hill Jam Band Application: DOWNLOAD PDF
Donation Form & Registration Form: DOWNLOAD PDF
Online Race Registration: https://racesonline.com/events/community-foundation-run-2018
Online Donations: https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/2018cfrun